broodje kaas
Next Tuesday I will have an oral exam for my Dutch course. I am supposed to prepare two topics: one is chosen from a text in the course book, and another one can be any that I would like to talk about.

For the first part, I chose a text about Dutch culture. The title of the text is "De broodlunch als struikelblok", or translated as "The bread lunch as an obstacle". Why does the bread lunch give the obstacle, anyway? Well, I think the title was inspired from the fact that foreigners cannot get used to (or even cannot stand) having bread for lunch. Very typical Dutch lunch: broodjekaas (cheese sandwich) and milk. No warm meal for lunch.
The Netherlands is very multicultural. Almost 3 millions foreigners live there (and if you are wondering, the total population is about 16 millions; so, 3 millions is significant). For a foreigner who has just come, it is not only the original Dutch culture itself he has to deal with, but also with the multi-culture. So, it is often the case that the company where these expatriates work offer a culture-shock training. The cost for expatriate is high (both from financial and time point of view), and thus losing an expatriate due to cultural problem is certainly something they want to avoid. Anyway, recent statistics have shown that about 10% from the expatriates (from 159 countries!) was unsuccessful to cope with this cultural problem.
*Uh, I do hope you (or we?) will do fine, honey!*
So, what are the main obstacles for foreigners living in the Netherlands?
1) Nederlandse overleggen
Um, I don't know what is the correct translation for this. But it's mainly about the "discussion" culture. The endless meeting, the other discussion at the end of the meeting (eventhough the decision has been made), everyone-should-speak rule. In short, they do decide everything together!
2) Directheid
The people are direct in speaking out their mind. So, often foreigners need to aware of this for not to regard it offensive. The flat hierarchy in the society gives freedom for people to address their opinion to just anyone. For example, in professors - students relationship, there is almost no barrier and informal.
3) Gereserveerheid
Keeping the distance. There is a border between work and private life. Your colleagues at work are not your friends outside work. They don't hang out together after work, for example. *Hmm, this reminds me of Japanese culture which is completely opposite :D* Activities out of work are never spontaneous, and appointment is always needed. *Well, in Holland, even when you want to get your hair cut (!), you should make an appointment. It's just the way how they manage time*
Interestingly, Meg Lota Brown, an American from the Holland Relocation, explained the reasons behind these consensus. She looked at the geography of the Netherlands: no mountains, densely populated, and surrounded by sea. No mountains, no place to hide. Therefore, people are direct. Densely populated: the physical space to live in is limited. Therefore, psychological space needs to balance. Privacy is highly valued. Surrounded by sea (and with the northwestern part is under the sea level), flood threat! They cannot work against it unless they cooperate, so, here it comes the endless discussion culture.
===
As for me, the culture shock surely came (or keep coming) to my way, ... but I don't take it too hard. Living (or at least spending time) together with other foreign students share the feeling and make me at ease.
I do hate the bureaucracy (everything takes too much time), and keep me hoping "I wish I were in Japan" (everything so fast there!); but I love the coffee time here where everyone at work can get together (regardless how much time you spend on talking something unimportant, or as for me, only sitting around listening to no words :D) . The people are indeed direct and sometimes what they say can hurt, but forget it, they are nice on the other way.
Oh yes, and I love bread + cheese (including for my lunch). It's easy and fast.
So, life here is not bad at all. I enjoy every single time I have here, and I hope when my beloved comes it will be more enjoyable.
excerpt from Berna de Boer, Birgit Lijmbach. Nederlands in actie. Uitgeverij Coutinho.
Labels: master journey


2 Comments:
even so
#1 their meetings are a lot shorter than indonesian. I mean A LOT.
#2 it's shouldn't be any obstacle at all, and I don't think it's specifically Dutch-kind-a-thing though. it makes you feel sure of a lot of things
#3 I don't mind the distance, even I adore it. but they do goin out with colleagues from work! really. and about appointment, even when you are totally sick, you have to make appointment, and even for a cup of tea with the best friend, you need to make appointment...and keep it. don't make one when you're not sure you can keep it
ah, but maybe you know already, rite :)
Dear Mellyana,
Thanks for the comments.
#1 I can believe that! *sigh*
#2 It might be not typical Dutch, but perhaps the level of it makes it one (it's difficult to measure, though). I think it might be an obstacle at the beginning, for some people who actually come from a country whose people are not direct at all (like Indonesia, perhaps?)
#3 Here here. I think appointment really makes your time more efficient. I just need to get used to it ;)
Thanks for dropping by! :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home